A police officer secures the scene of an explosion as locals stand next to him after a suspected suicide bomber targeted a wedding celebration in the Turkish city of Gaziantep, Turkey, August 21, 2016. REUTERS/Osman Orsal
CAIRO, Aug 21 (Aswat Masriya) - Egypt condemned on Sunday a "terrorist" attack that killed at least 50 people in southeastern Turkey.
A bomb attack targeting an outdoor wedding party in the city of Gaziantep, near the border with Syria, has killed at least 50 people and injured 94 more on Saturday.
Egypt’s foreign ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid expressed his condolences to the families of the victims.
"Egyptian people stand in solidarity with their Turkish counterpart in these hard moments," the Egyptian foreign ministry said in an official statement.
“Egypt maintains its position against the phenomenon of terrorism, and its criminal organisations that aims at terrorising innocent people and spreading chaos without differentiating between religion or race," the statement added.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that Islamic State was the "likely perpetrator" of the attack.
Last week, Egypt condemned another attack that hit a police station in Turkey, killing at least seven people, and wounding over 220.
Egyptian ties with Turkey have deteriorated since 2013, when Abdel Fattah al-Sisi led a military ouster of then-president Mohamed Mursi, following mass protests against Mursi's rule.