CAIRO, Jul 28 (Aswat Masriya) – Egypt's interior ministry said that three "terrorists" were killed in a blast in North Sinai's town of al-Arish on Wednesday.
In its statement released Thursday, the interior ministry said the investigation has revealed that the three killed were "gravely dangerous terrorists" previously involved in planting explosives in al-Arish that target police vehicles and the armed forces.
The ministry added that the three individuals were about to plant an explosive device on the Ring Road before it detonated and killed them.
On Wednesday, three civilians were reportedly killed in al-Arish in a bomb explosion, state-owned MENA news agency reported.
Militancy inside Egypt has seen a significant rise since the military ouster of President Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, following mass protests against his rule.
Police officers have been subjected to shootings and successive blasts that mostly target checkpoints and police stations in the restive Sinai Peninsula, particularly in North Sinai.
The group known as "Sinai Province", affiliated with Islamic State fighters in Syria and Iraq, claim most of the attacks in the area.
The military in conjunction with the police forces have embarked on several security campaigns in North Sinai aimed to fight militants.
On Jul. 12, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi extended the state of emergency imposed in several parts of the Sinai Peninsula for another three months.