CAIRO, Apr 4 (Aswat Masriya) –The Egyptian delegation's highly anticipated meeting with Italian officials in Rome to discuss the murder case of Italian student Giulio Regeni has been postponed indefinitely, a source from the Italian embassy in Cairo told Aswat Masriya on Monday.
Italian news agency ANSA reported earlier today that the meeting was postponed to Apr. 7.
Regeni, a 28-year-old Italian Ph.D. student in Cambridge University, disappeared on January 25, on the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising that toppled former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak. He was a visiting scholar at the American University in Cairo and conducted research on independent trade unions.
Egypt is expected to present its most recent findings in the case during its visit after Rome complained of a lack of cooperation in the case, ANSA reported.
Citing a senior Egyptian interior ministry official, Reuters reported that investigation into Regeni's case showed that he was being watched by security services, but that it did not mean that security services killed him, as suspected by human rights groups.
Last week, Regeni's parents demanded a tough response from Rome if Egypt fails to uncover the truth behind their son's murder.
Giulio's mother, Paola Regeni, said she might release a photograph of her son's body to show the world what had happened to him in Egypt if his murderers were not revealed, Reuters reported.
Egypt's interior ministry said late March that it killed four gang members in a shootout who may have a link to the murder of Regeni.
The police allegedly found Regeni's personal belongings in the gang members' apartment, said a statement by the ministry then.
However, Italian investigators said that there were “inconsistencies” in the Egyptian police’s narrative that Regeni’s belongings were found in a red handbag in an apartment in the Qalyubia province. They were also suspicious of the idea that the gang members held on to evidence such as Regeni's passport for this long or tortured him in this manner.
Regeni's murder has stirred a wave of criticism against Egypt's interior ministry as local and international media suggested the incident held signs of the Egyptian police's torture tactics.
Early in February, Egypt’s interior minister Magdy Abdel Ghaffar said that he was “disturbed” by speculations that Egyptian police tortured and killed Regeni.