CAIRO, Jun 28 (Aswat Masriya) – A Minya court judge ordered on Tuesday the release on bail of eight defendants, who were arrested in connection to attacks on Christians in Minya’s Karam village in May.
Each defendant is to be released on a bail of EGP 10,000.
Attacks on Christians in Minya, Upper Egypt, came after rumours that a Christian woman's son had an affair with a Muslim woman, according to the local church and witnesses.
The Christian man fled Karam village with his wife and children after he received threats, while his parents filed a complaint on May 19 to security officials reporting those threats, according to the local Coptic Orthodox church's statement then.
On May 20, a group of 300 armed individuals attacked seven houses where Christians reside, looting them and setting them ablaze, causing an estimated loss of EGP 350,000, and stripped the mother naked out on the street, the local church said.
President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi had ordered state institutions to take the necessary measures to maintain order and restore properties after the attacks and vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice.
The Christian woman, Soaad, had accused three men of attacking her and stripping her naked in front of her home.
Egypt’s interior ministry previously said it arrested ten in connection with the case.