CAIRO, May 11 (Aswat Masriya) - The committee established to manage the funds of the Muslim Brotherhood turned down on Monday a challenge filed by renowned footballer Mohamed Aboutrika against the decision to confiscate his assets.
Aboutrika vowed on his personal twitter account to "resume legal procedures," shortly after the decision to turn down the challenge was issued.
The assets of a tourism company co-founded by Aboutrika were confiscated last week.
The committee's head, Ezzat Khamis said that the body looked into Aboutrika's challenge and decided to turn it down due to the tourism company's "involvement in funding terrorist operations which occurred recently against the military and the police" and for other "confidential" reasons.
He added that the committee confiscated all Aboutrika's belongings and bank accounts and not only the tourism company.
"Thanks for all those who supported me and stood by me and may God forgive all those who were unjust to me and who insulted me," the renowned footballer tweeted on Monday.
The committee had said in a statement on Friday that the company's manager, Mohamed al-Qadi is a "leading Muslim Brotherhood figure" who is currently in custody and accused of committing anti-state hostilities and using the company's assets to fund "terrorist operations".
The committee was formed following a September 2013 court ruling which ordered banning the Brotherhood's activities in the country. The ruling stipulated banning the activities of any association that branches from the Brotherhood, that was founded by Brotherhood funds or that receives any form of support from the Brotherhood.
Egypt listed the Brotherhood as a terrorist organisation in December 2013 and insists it is behind the stringent wave of militancy which has targeted security personnel since the ouster of former Islamist President Mohamed Mursi. The Brotherhood continuously denies the accusations.