Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas - Reuters
CAIRO, Aug 23 (Aswat Masriya) – Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas stressed on Saturday that "stopping the bloodshed" in Gaza is his top priority, calling for a swift resumption of the Cairo-mediated talks between Palestinians and Israel.
In a joint press conference with Egypt's Foreign Ministry Sameh Shokri in Cairo, Abbas said that once a ceasefire agreement is enacted, the besieged strip can start receiving humanitarian aid with international sponsorship.
"When the ceasefire is intact, all parties can sit on the table and negotiate their demands," Abbas said.
Egypt has been trying to enforce a lasting ceasefire agreement for over a month to end the fighting in Gaza, ongoing since July 8. So far, negotiations have only helped reach short-lived ceasefire truces, the latest expiring last Tuesday.
The ceasefire was breached hours before it expired, reigniting the fighting which has left over 2090 Palestinians killed and at least 10,500 injured. Sixty-four Israeli soldiers have also been killed, as well as three civilians in Israel.
Following a meeting with Egypt's President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Abbas said Egypt will renew its invitation to Palestinian factions to resume negotiations over a ceasefire.
Abbas said that Hamas has agreed to Egypt's sponsorship to the negotiations over a lasting ceasefire agreement in Gaza.
The Palestinian Authority president arrived in Cairo on Friday for a two-day visit to discuss the situation in the war-torn strip with Sisi. He is expected to meet with Arab League Secretary General Nabil Elaraby on Saturday.