Egypt's Conference Party pulls out of Friday protests after attacks

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:28 PM 
Former presidential candidate Amr Moussa - photo from REUTERS

 

The party of former presidential contender Amr Moussa has pulled out of Friday's demonstration against Egypt's draft constitution, claiming its members were attacked by other protesters.
 
In a Friday afternoon statement, the Conference Party said it had left Cairo's Tahrir Square after its members were assaulted by the April 6 Democratic Movement, a revolutionary group also participating in the demonstration.
 
"Unfortunately, what happened today is similar to what the Muslim Brotherhood did last week during the protests," the party said. Secularist groups allege that Brotherhood supporters staged an unprovoked attack on them during last Friday's protests on Tahrir.
 
The Conference Party was formed in September from a coalition of 25 political movements coming together under the leadership of former Arab League secretary-general Amr Moussa. Moussa came fifth in Egypt's first post-Mubarak presidential election.
 
Hundreds of Egyptian secularists marched from several points across Cairo to Tahrir this Friday to protest against what they believe is the Brotherhood's unfair control of the body writing the country's new constitution.

 

This content is from : El Ahram
Aswat Masriya is a free website. Everyone is encouraged to use the content produced by Aswat Masriya journalists, as long as the website is credited and a link back to the website is included. Content from our content partners or Reuters cannot be republished without permission

Leave a comment

IMPORTANT: Aswat Masriya is not responsible for the content of any comment.

About Us | Contact Us | Terms Of Use All rights reserved 2014 Aswat Masriya ©