Breaking: Seven dead, 630 injured in Port Said funeral clashes

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:46 PM 
Mourners hold a banner as they attend the funeral of Port Said protesters killed in violence following the pronouncement of the final verdict of the 2012 Port Said stadium disaster massacre, in Port Said January 27, 2013. The banner reads, "Port Said mourns martyrs rule of El Murshed". REUTERS/Stringer

The Egyptian state television quoted the Ministry of Health on Sunday which reported that the death toll rose up to seven in Port Said.

There are 630 injured persons as well, some of them in a serious condition.

Tens of thousands of Port Said residents rallied on Sunday to mourn 29 people who were killed in violence that erupted on Saturday when a court sentenced 21 defendants to death for their involvement in last year’s deadly stadium riots. 

Some mourners clashed with security forces when the former hurled stones and the latter fired live shots in the air and teargas to disperse them.

This content is from : Aswat Masriya
Aswat Masriya is a free website. Everyone is encouraged to use the content produced by Aswat Masriya journalists, as long as the website is credited and a link back to the website is included. Content from our content partners or Reuters cannot be republished without permission

Leave a comment

IMPORTANT: Aswat Masriya is not responsible for the content of any comment.

About Us | Contact Us | Terms Of Use All rights reserved 2014 Aswat Masriya ©