Update: Two policemen killed in Egypt after soccer case verdict

Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:40 AM 
Photo from Reuters

CAIRO, Jan 26 (Reuters) - Two policemen were shot dead outside a prison in Egypt's Port Said on Saturday shortly after a court sentenced to death 21 people found guilty over a 2012 soccer stadium disaster that killed 74 people, a security source reported.

Protesters had gathered at the prison where many of the defendants in the soccer case were held and state media had earlier reported gunshots outside the jail.

Earlier on Saturday, a court sentenced to death 21 of the 73 defendants accused in the Port Said soccer stadium disaster.

Soccer fans and families in Cairo had cheered the court ruling. Soccer supporters had demanded the death penalty for the accused and threatened violence if justice was not done.

But some in Port Said were angry that people from their city were being held responsible for the disaster, and many rampaged through the streets. A witness saw some storming a police station.

(Reporting by Yasmine Saleh; Writing by Edmund Blair; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

This content is from : Reuters
Aswat Masriya is a free website. Everyone is encouraged to use the content produced by Aswat Masriya journalists, as long as the website is credited and a link back to the website is included. Content from our content partners or Reuters cannot be republished without permission

Leave a comment

IMPORTANT: Aswat Masriya is not responsible for the content of any comment.

About Us | Contact Us | Terms Of Use All rights reserved 2014 Aswat Masriya ©